Thursday, May 21, 2009

Old Friends


Old friends are the best friends. There is something comforting when a bad thing happens about knowing they will understand why you act the way you do. You don't have to explain things because they already know stuff like - despite public appearances your mother is a psychotic hag and while your friend is nice to her, she backs you up on the evil factor; no matter how many times you say your family won't take advantage of your anymore, they will, and you will continue let it happen and friends just keep listenting; and no matter how much you pretend to be angry at people, they know you are just hurt and don't know what else to do; and most importantly sometimes a hug is all that can be done.


I got to spend last night with two of the bestest friends in the world. They did not bat an eye when I had to take a phone call from my family and then proceeded to smoke a pack of cigarettes and drink my body weight in wine (which by the way equates to vats). They just sat back and we picked up where we had left off in the conversation when I came back inside.

They made fun of me for accidentally being drunk and I love them for it. The older I get the more I realize that friends, lots of times, are better than family. You spend time together because you want to, not because DNA says you have to.

No comments:

Post a Comment